metamorphosed in more ways than one, but always for the better. From a
sleepy fishing village to a fledging trading port in 1521, from the
first Spanish settlement named Villa del Santisimo Nombre de Jesus in
1575 to a municipality in 1901, Cebu finally became a chartered city on
February 24, 1937. Being the first and oldest city in the country,
ante-dating Manila by 7 years, having the oldest school and oldest
street and being the cradle of Christianity in the Far East (i.e.
Magellan's cross planted in Cebu as a symbol of natives embracing the
Christian faith), Cebu is replete with historical first's.
The streets of Tres de Abril and V. Rama
were the sites of a fierce battle on April 3, 1898 when General Leon
Kilat of Bacong, Negros Oriental spearheaded the revolution against
Spanish colonialism. The Spaniards sought refuge at the Fort San Pedro
and three days of relentless attacks would have spelled victory for the
rebels were it not for the propitious arrival of the Spanish armada.
Miguel Lopez de Legazpi then urged his
men to construct the oldest and smallest fort in the country: Fort San
Pedro. As Spain intensified its colonization efforts, indignant
islanders showed opposition by way of intermittent attacks against the
colonizers. Thus the rebellion paved the way to the construction of Fort
San Pedro, a Spanish military stronghold.
However, the fort fell to the hands of
the native Cebuanos when Americans commanded by Commodore George Dewey
vanquished the Spanish fleet in December 1898 in the battle of Manila
Bay. With the American reign in full force in 1901, then Senate Pro
Tempore and late President Sergio Osmeña, Sr. and then Congressman and
majority floor leader in the House of Representatives, the late Senator
Manuel Briones vigorously lobbied for Philippine Independence.
February 24, 1937 was a milestone in
Cebuano history as Cebu City was granted its charter by virtue of
Commonwealth Act No. 58 enacted by Congress on October 20, 1936. The
late Senator Vicente Rama, formerly representative of Cebu's 3rd
district was instrumental as author and sponsor of the bill. It was at
that time that Secretary of Interior Elpidio Quirino appointed the mayor
and board members of Cebu City in his capacity as representative of
Shortly after the landing of the
Japanese Army in Cebu City on April 10, 1942, the entire province became
the principal Japanese base due to its strategic location and
substantial population. Cebu finally saw the light of freedom in March
1945 when American liberation forces landed in Talisay town. Liberation
came in full circle in March 1946 and to restore law and order, a civil
government dubbed as Philippine Civil Affairs Unit (PCAU) was
established in the city.
In April 1965, the entire Christian
world focused its attention on Cebu City, considered as the cradle of
Christianity in the Far East as it played host to the 40th Anniversary
of Christianity in the Philippines. The celebration highlighted the
contributions of Miguel Lopez de Legazpi and Fray Andres de Urdaneta in
proselytizing Christianity by way of establishing a Spanish settlement
in the province. In a country where Catholics predominate, the
conferment of the San Agustin Church to the title Basilica Minor del
Santo Niño proved to be a momentous occasion as Rome sent its
representative Papal Legate, His Eminence Ildefonso Cardinal Antonuitte.
is bounded by the city of Mandaue and the municipality of Consoalcion in
the north; city harbor and Bohol Strait in the east; Talisay town in the
south and Toledo City in the west. Of the 73 barangays comprising the
city, 30 are categorized as mountain barangays with land area totaling
27,797 hectares. There are 6 congresional districts, 3 component cities,
namely: Lapulapu, Danao and Toledo; 2 highly urbanized cities: Cebu and
Mandaue; 48 municipalities; and 1,122 barangays.
Feasts and Festivals
SINULOG - Celebrated every 3rd
Sunday of January, Sinulog is Cebu's biggest and most popular festival.
The feast is in honor of the Holy Image of Senyor Santo Niño de Cebu.
Fiesta Senyor, as it is widely known, is the most celebrated among
Cebu's festival where people converge along the routes of a grand solemn
procession and partake in the gaiety amidst a mardi gras parade immersed
in with colors and the constant beating of drums.
TRES DE ABRIL CELEBRATION -
Celebrated every 3rd of April in commemoration of the Spanish resistance
in the south. This historic battle under Leon Kilat's leadership gave
Cebu the glory of being the first major island outside Luzon to oppose
PASKUHAN, Cebu City/Province-wide
- A Christmas celebration of songs and lantern-making held during the
month of December to spread good cheer to local residents and visitors
KADAUNGAN SA MACTAN, Lapulapu
City - A one-day reenactment celebrated with pomp and pageantry every
27th of April to commemorate the historic battle of Mactan between the
forces of Lapulapu and Ferdinand Magellan.
Visit also this Locations
MANDAUE-MACTAN BRIDGE - Built in
1972 at a cost of P 65 million. This 864-meter bridge connects the
islands of Mactan and Cebu.
TOPS - Situated on top of cool
Busay Hills, an excellent sight seeing spot which offers a breathtaking
view of Metro Cebu and the islands of Mactan and Olanga. Cottages are
available for daytime picnics and instant evening parties.
BEVERLY HILLS - A scenic
subdivision on Lahug Hills commands a breathtaking view of the entire
THE NEW CEBU COLISEUM - A sports
center located at Sanciangco Street where concerts and ball games are
YMCA - Along Osmeña Blvd. is a
sports complex equipped with body building equipment, swimming pool,
bowling lanes and ball game courts. Accommodation is also available.
Religious Tourist Attractions
Image of Santo Niño
- Considered as the oldest religious relic in the Philippines. It was on
April 14, 1521 that Magellan gave the image to Queen Juana as a
baptismal gift. Forty-four years later, on April 27, 1965 when Miguel
Lopez de Legaspi arrived, Fr. Andres de Urdaneta who formally
christianized the Cebuanos, found the natives hostile. Legaspi besieged
the settlement and set the village on fire. It was on one burnt houses
that Juan Camus, a soldier, found the image of Sto. Niño unscratched.
Since then, the miraculous image has been venerated by the Cebuanos as
its patron saint. At present, the miraculous image is kept in the parish
convent, and a replica is adorned with gold and precious stones and
enshrined in glass. It is housed in a side altar inside the Basilica
Minor del Santo Niño.
BASILICA MINOR DEL SANTO NIÑO
- This church was built by Miguel Lopez de Legaspi and Fr. Andres
Urdaneta on the site where the image of Santo Niño was found in 1565.
The first structure of the church was, however, destroyed by fire on
November 1, 1568. It was rebuilt in 1602 under the administration of
Juan Albaran and was rehabilitated in 1740. On May 1965, the church was
conferred the title of Basilica Minor del Santo Niño by Cardinal
Antonuitte, Papal Legate during the Fourth Centennial celebration of the
Christianization of Cebu.
SOME DOES AND DONT´S
Mactan Bridge II
Every 3rd Weekend in January:
The Sinulog is a festival held in
honor of the Santo Niño (Holy Child). The celebrations origins lie in the
island of Cebu, located in the southern part of the Philippine Islands
Lapulapu City about 20 kms. from Cebu City. Encouraged by the success of
Christianizing the people of Cebu, Magellan crossed the channel to
Mactan Island in an effort to spread the faith. Before he reached the
shores, he was killed by the chieftain of the island, Lapulapu and his
men during the battle for supremacy and freedom on April 27, 1521.
Efforts to retrieve the body of Magellan were futile inspire of the
offer to trade jewelry's and spices for his dead body. This marker was
erected in 1866 to mark the spot where the great explorer died.
Magellan St. - Planted in April 14, 1521 by Ferdinand Magellan, this
marks the spot where the first Christian Filipinos, Rajah Humabon and
Queen Juana and about 400 followers were baptized by Fr. Pedro
Valderama. In 1525 to 1740, the Agustinian priests built an open shrine
for the cross, but the natives began to take chips from the cross
believing it had miraculous power, so a kiosk destruction took place. To
protect it further, a hollow cross of tindalo wood was made to encase
the original cross which still stands today.
FORT SAN PEDRO,
Pier Area, Cebu City - The smallest, oldest trio-bastion fort in the
country. This served as the nucleus of the first Spanish settlement in
the Philippines. It has a total inside area of 2,025 sq. meters. The
walls are 20 feet high, 8 feet thick and towers are 30 feet high from
the ground level. Work first started on May 8, 1565 with MIGUEL LOPEZ DE
LEGASPI breaking the ground. After the battle of Manila Bay, Commodore
George Dewey turned the forth to the local Cebuanos; then it became an
American Warwick Barracks during the American Regime which was later
converted into classrooms where the Cebuanos received formal education.
During World War II, from
1941 to 1945, it served as fortification for Japanese soldier, when the
battle for liberation was fought, the fort served as an army cam. After
1950, Cebu Garden Club took over and fixed the inner court into a
miniature garden. For a couple of years it also housed the Cebu City
Zoo. In 1978 to August 15, 1993, it housed the offices of the Department
of Tourism and the Philippine Tourism Authority. At present, it is under
the care and administration of the National Museum.
Punta Engaño, Lapulapu City - Site where the battle between Mactan
Island Chieftain Lapulapu and the foreign aggressor Ferdinand Magellan
occurred in April 27, 1521. It depicts the hero holding a bolo in one
hand and a pestle on the other. Said weapons were believed to have been
used during his combat with Magellan. This monument stands as a reminder
of Filipino bravery.
UNIVERSITY OF SAN CARLOS,
P. Del Rosario St., Cebu City - The oldest school in the country
established in 1565. This was formerly called Colegio de San Ildefonso
established by the Jesuits.
Downtown Area, Cebu City - This is also known as Parian District, the
oldest street in the Philippines built by the Spaniards during the time
of Miguel Lopez de Legazpi. Named after Christopher Columbus, it is the
heart of Downtown Cebu, a glittering city by night lined with Cinemas, Restaurants,
Department stores, and other business establishments.
Osmeña Blvd., Cebu City - The seat of the Provincial government, is of
pre-war vintage and has the undulating mountains of Cebu for its
background. Majestic and imposing, its high dome can be seen along
Osmeña Boulevard. A replica of the United States' White House. One of
the many beautiful capitol buildings in the country, constructed in 1937
under the administration of Governor Sotero Cabahug.
CASA GORORDO MUSEUM,
35 Lopez Jaena St., Cebu City - Located in Lopez Jaena Street, is the
home of the first Filipino Bishop of Cebu. A tour inside this residence
is a brief journey into a Filipino lifestyle in a particular period
between 1860 to 1920. The place presently features noted paintings,
museum relics, a courtyard, antique household items and furniture.
Open from 9:00 a.m. to
12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday to Saturday. Admission fee
for adults is PHP 15.00 and 5.00 for children.
FORT SAN PEDRO NATIONAL MUSEUM,
Legaspi Ext., Cebu City - A product of years of research, the collection
in view are anthropological and biological. The anthropological section
portrays the cultural development and influence into society and its
close affinity with the people of South East Asia. The biological
section presents samples of the flora and fauna of the country in
general and Cebu in particular.
Admission fee PHP 5.00
per person; open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 12:00 noon and
1:30 PM to 5:30 PM; Saturday from 8:00 am to 12 noon only
More to say
This City is a peaceful
place to stay for Vacation, Investments
The IT market is growing
and growing every day more.
May you visit this Place
Coming more ....